June 18, 2021News
Before the pandemic, most of us thought of TikTok as an app where Gen Z did dance routines. Flash forward a year, and the social media app is dominating everything from the music industry to fashion trends. It’s brought around the popularity of tie-dye, brought aesthetics like cottagecore into the mainstream, and even cancelled skin jeans. If you take a scroll through your ‘for you page’ on the app, you’re guaranteed to come across a few familiar trends. With big-name influencers (and celebrities!) jumping onto TikTok to capitalise on their popularity, it’s not surprising to see that some of them are embracing the TikTok fashion trends.
TikTok has created a whole new wave of influencers, whose sudden popularity can rival that of even established youtubers and other bloggers who have spent years cultivating their image and social media following. All you have to do is look at the likes of Addison Rae – who has even featured in Keeping Up With The Kardashians – to see the power these new-age influencers have. If there’s a fashion trend on the horizon, you can be use that Addison, Charli D’Amelio or Madi Monroe are already all over it.
In fact, most of these influencers are now finding themselves in a position where they’re being paid to promote these fashion trends. After the app catapulted tie-dye into the mainstream at the start of the pandemic, it’s no surprise that TikTok is dominating fashion trends. It’s the most popular social media apps at the moment and has one of the highest engagement rates of any website.
If you ever want to know what’s in vogue (and what isn’t!), go for a scroll through TikTok. You’ll quickly start to see what all the latest trends are.
We’re taking a look at the TikTok fashion trends that every influencer has been wearing, so you can decide which ones are worthy of adding to your closet.
The OG TikTok fashion trend is the classic tie-dye, which is still going strong a year into the pandemic. Tie-dye jumped onto the fashion scene after TikTok stars recorded videos of themselves giving DIY tutorials on how you can give everything from your old Nike socks to oversized sweatshirts or sweatpants the tie-dye treatment.
The most popular way of incorporating tie dye into your close is with loungewear, but the sky is the limit when it comes to tie dye. While almost every designer has no come out with their take on the tie dye trend, you can still DIY it at home. If you’re on a budget or want to give an old garment a second life, we’re recapping the easiest way of DIYing the tie-dye trend at home.
• It’s easiest is you use clothing that is made using 100% cotton. While a cotton blend will still work, the colour effect won’t be as vibrant and may wash off after your first wear. Dyes bond better with natural fabrics, including silk and rayon, but cotton is the most common choice. If you’re not sure what to start with when you’re doing your first at-home tie-dye DIY, we recommend using a plain white cotton shirt.
• You can buy your dye kits off Amazon or from a local crafts store. You’ll also need rubber gloves, bands, soda ash, and urea to complete your kit. We recommend buying a kit as your dyes will come in an easy-to-use squeeze bottle that is a must-have for beginners.
• Soak your shirt in a solution of warm (not hot!) water and sofa ash for around 10 minutes. Check the back of the soda ash label to make sure you’re using the right amount. The temperature of your dye bath should be the same as a baby’s bath. Make sure to wear your rubber gloves while you’re soaking the shirt into the water solution.
• Once the water is soaked, squeeze it to rinse out as much of the liquid as possible. The more water you can get out, the more dye you can get in.
• If you have the time, you can throw the shirt into the dryer for a single cycle to get it as dry as possible.
• Put the dry shirt on a flat surface and spin it around a dowel rod or your finger until you have it a swirl shape. Once you have your shirt looking like it’s a pie, you want to take your rubber bands and secure them over the shirt. Turn the shirt over and add more bands to help it maintain its shape.
• Place the shirt on some thick paper towels and add the dye directly to the shirt. You can layer the dyes or use them on specific sections depending on the look you’re going for. It’s usually recommended that you only use three or four colours per garment. Don’t forget to do the other side of your shirt!
• Put your shirt into a zip-lock bag and seal it tight. Leave in a warm place for at least 24 hours to allow the colours to bond.
• Once it’s ready, take off the bands and run the shirt under cold water. You might be surprised by how much dye runs off but don’t panic! Keep going until the water runs clear.
If there’s one aesthetic that’s all over TikTok, it’s the laidback VSCO girl. After all, TikTok is their playground. You’ll spot all the main TikTok influencers dancing around in their loose-fitting denim jeans. You can embrace the trend by adding a pair of distressed jeans – the more distressed, the better!
To fully embrace the TikTok trends, you’ll want to wear your distressed denim with a short crop top or an oversized sweater that you’ve tie-dyed at home. Don’t forget your classic white sneakers or Air Force 1s.
If there’s one person that is universally loved on TikTok, it’s the late Princess Diana and her 90s fashion. You can thank the Netflix show, The Crown, and the resurgence of 90s fashion as a genre within the fashion industry for this trend. One of Lady Di’s most iconic looks for Gen Z was her signature workout look – an oversized sweatshirt and tight bicycle shorts. Most of TikTok’s influencers are on a hunt for the late Princess’ OG sweatshirts to fully recreate her look.
For this trend, you want to choose a neutral-tone pair of bicycle shorts. If you’re feeling brave, think outside the box and choose a pastel shade. For your sweater, it’s best to look for one that’s vintage or looks like it could be a hand-me-down from your parents or boyfriend. It should be visibly oversized and give you enough room to layer a t-shirt and sports bra underneath.
To complete your look, you want a pair of sporty ankle socks and your favourite collectible sneakers. Don’t forget to have a Starbies in hand!
Speaking of the 90s, if there’s one accessory that everyone is wearing (and promoting!) it’s 90s sunglasses. You want to pick up a pair of shades with tinted lenses, whether it’s classic aviators or a octagonal shape. The more unique the sunglasses, the better.
One thing you’ll want to consider when choosing your TikTok worthy sunglasses is your face shape, as this will largely determine which style of glasses works for you. The general rule of thumb is to choose the opposite of your face shape. If your face is round, go with squared shades. If you have a heart shaped face, you can wear virtually any style.
While this trend is mainly back thanks to the resurgence in 90s and early 2000s nostalgia, it’s a practical one. Whether you’re having a bad hair day or are jumping on a transatlantic flight, a baseball cap is an outfit essential for days when you want to keep a low profile. For a few years, this closet staple was thought of as something your dad would wear on a foreign holiday.
Well, not anymore!
You can wear a baseball cap with anything from your smock summer dress to the loungewear set that you can’t be parted from. If you want a baseball cap that’s wearable for every day, choose one in a minimalistic neutral or earth-tone that you can mix and match with your other closet essentials.
You want to find a baseball cap that comfortably fits on your head and that you can wear with your hair both up or down. If you want to embrace the TikTok vibe, look around and see if you can pick-up a vintage one for a sustainable twist. You can also use your baseball cap to show off your sporty side – whether you support an F1 team or a baseball league.
Which of these TikTok fashion trends are your favourite? Do you have a favourite TikTok influencer? Let us know in the comments below!
TikTok is an app most of us swore to stay away from before the pandemic. A lot can change in a year. It’s now an app we look at before even checking out Instagram or Twitter. The app, which is dominated by Generation Z and Millennials, has come to dominate the fashion trends. Who would have thought the app would have the power to cancel skinny jeans? We’re rounding up a few of our favorite fashion trends from TikTok that everyone is obsessed with.
TikTok is our new favorite social media app. There is something on there for everyone, whatever your interests are. It’s replaced our morning and evening Instagram scrolling session. TikTok has become our daily source of inspiration for everything from weight-loss to managing money to learning about the latest trends. We’re rounding up seven TikTok stars that you need to hit ‘follow’ for.
Do you ever look at the clouds and wish they were edible? Well, with the help of a TikTok trend, you can have the next best thing. Cloud bread is easier to make and a beginner-friendly recipe. All you need is three ingredients to make this fluffy cloud-inspired treat. Warning: you’ll want to share this recipe all over your social media feed. Make sure to take a photo of your bread before you dig into it.
Before the pandemic hit, TikTok was app that few of us took seriously. In fact, most of us swore to never download it. Then the pandemic hit, and everything changed. With endless hours in the days that we needed to fill, TikTok became the leading social media platform by the end of 2020. While we often associate Instagram with fashion trends, TikTok is rivalling the app for its fashion crown. With its viral videos, TikTok has become a breeding ground for every type of subculture. The algorithm allows you to curate your ‘for you page’ to reflect your fashion and personality.